WashU Living Well Center® Long COVID Program
Washington University’s Care and Recovery After COVID-19 (CARE) Clinic supports and treats patients who have continued symptoms or complications after COVID-19 illness (also called long COVID or post-acute sequelae of COVID (PASC)). These long-term issues can include fatigue, "brain fog" or changes in thinking or concentration, shortness of breath or breathlessness, worsening of symptoms with increased activity, changes in sleep, changes in mood, and many others.
There can also be lingering issues that affect the musculoskeletal system (the bones, joints and muscles of our body). To treat long , the Washington University Living Well Center® teams up with the CARE clinic to deliver trusted, targeted care.
The Washington University Living Well Center® identifies and addresses lifestyle strategies with a goal of managing and improving symptoms of long COVID. Our 120-day intensive program provides each patient with a personalized, goal-directed lifestyle care plan to improve physical and mental health. When possible, some care can be delivered virtually, a convenient option that eliminates the need to travel to and from appointments.
The Living Well Center uses lifestyle changes to help patients address:
- Brain fog
- Stress and mood disorders such as anxiety and depression
- Sleep problems
- Pain and deconditioning
- Co-existing chronic medical conditions (such as high blood pressure or diabetes)
Care plans and treatment may include:
For select painful musculoskeletal conditions, treatment may also include:
*These services are not typically covered by insurance. Because coverage varies, please check with your insurance carrier to verify coverage.
Long COVID Shared Medical Appointments
Shared medical appointments are medical office visits led by a medical provider and conducted in a group setting. These visits function to manage symptoms or conditions among multiple people with similar goals. The long COVID shared medical appointments are group visits with other people who have long COVID. During each session, we will cover one topic related to the lifestyle treatment of long COVID. More information about the shared medical appointment structure can be found here.
- Restful and Restorative Sleep Habits by Mollie Dwivedi, PA-C
- Stress Reduction by Mollie Dwivedi, PA-C
- Managing Fatigue with Energy Conservation and Pacing by Mollie Dwivedi, PA-C
- Plant-predominant Nutrition for Optimizing Function with Cooking Demo by Nartana Mehta, RD
- Home Tools and Techniques for Pain Relief by Amy Whitelaw, MT, and Mollie Dwivedi, PA-C
- Mind-body practices: Restorative Yoga and Beyond by Mary Bouse, MT, and Mollie Dwivedi, PA-C
How do I sign up?
A referral is required from the WU CARE clinic or from a primary care provider with a diagnosis of long COVID.