Virtual Visits for Orthopedic Care
We're bringing orthopedic care directly to our patients through the convenience of virtual visits. To schedule a virtual visit, call (314) 514-3500 or request a virtual visit online.
What is a virtual visit?
A virtual visit is a secure and easy way to connect with one of our orthopedic specialists in the comfort of your own home. These visits are conducted by video or phone, in real time, through your computer or phone.
When you virtually meet with an orthopedic specialist, your visit will be very similar to what you would experience during a traditional in-person appointment:
- You’ll discuss your musculoskeletal concerns with your provider.
- You will be evaluated and asked questions.
- Your provider may order imaging or lab tests.
- Your provider may prescribe medication.
- Your provider may prescribe durable medical equipment (DME), like crutches or a cane.
- You will be given a treatment plan and follow-up instructions to conclude your visit.
- After your visit, your information will be stored in your patient record.
What are the benefits of a virtual visit?
- Receive quick care from a specialist in the comfort of your own home.
- Convenient, especially if you are experiencing pain and it is difficult to travel.
- Private and secure.
How does a virtual visit work?
After your virtual visit is scheduled, a patient care representative will call you to walk you through how your visit will work. First, you will be asked to either create or access an existing MyChart account. Through MyChart, you will complete and submit a virtual visit consent form, and check in for your visit at least one day before your appointment time.
Most virtual visits are conducted in MyChart via Zoom, a HIPAA-compliant video tool for your phone or computer. If you will be using your smartphone or tablet, please download Zoom (for Apple; for Android). If you will be using a computer for your visit, you do not have to install the app—your visit will begin when you click your meeting link.
If you are unable to conduct a virtual visit through Zoom, we will discuss alternative ways for your virtual visit.
When are virtual visits available?
Virtual visits are available Monday-Friday from 8am-4:30pm.
How do I schedule a virtual visit?
Virtual visits can be scheduled by calling (314) 514-3500. You can also request a virtual visit online by completing our online form and checking the box that you are interested in receiving a virtual visit.
How do I get ready for a virtual visit?
- If you have MyChart, complete your eCheck-in at least one day before your appointment. If you need help with eCheck-in, call the MyChart Support Desk at (314) 273-1966.
- We will send you instructions on starting the visit (via phone or Zoom) at your scheduled time.
- If your virtual visit will be a video visit and you will be using your smartphone or tablet, please download Zoom (for Apple; for Android), the HIPPA-compliant video conferencing tool that will be used for your appointment. If you will be using a desktop or laptop computer for your visit, you do not have to install the app. Your visit will begin when you click your meeting link.
- Find a quiet, private space for your visit.
How do I pay for a virtual visit?
Just as an in-person office visit, we will bill your insurance for your virtual visit. If there is a co-pay, you may be asked to pay it during eCheck-in. Please consult with your insurance for co-payment information.
Want to learn more?
Hear from Mary Mech, one of the first patients to have her postoperative appointment conducted virtually.