Billing and Payment Information
Download Billing and Payment Policies brochure
Our mission is to meet the needs of those we serve. We have established a policy of communicating financial expectations to our patients. Please review our billing and payment policies below for information on payment options for self-pay patients, patients with insurance, and additional services such as radiology and durable medical equipment.
Patients with insurance
Washington University Physicians accepts many insurance plans, but not all. Please check with your insurance carrier to see if your plan is in network with Washington University Physicians, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children’s Hospital, Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, and Progress West Hospital. It is very important that we have your current insurance on file.
- If your insurance requires a referral, it is your responsibility to obtain this from your Primary Care Physician.
- Co-payments are due at the time of service.
- If there are changes to your insurance prior to your scheduled tests or procedures, you will need to contact our billing department at (314) 286-1154.
- Staff will obtain the pre-certification from your insurance company based on your insurance’s guidelines. Please remember pre-certification does not guarantee payment. It is your responsibility to verify that your particular health benefit plan will cover the procedure or test.
- Payment for non-covered services will be required at the time of service.
If you have a pre-existing clause on your policy pertaining to the treatment you are seeking with Washington University Physicians, the insurance company may deny the services. You would be responsible for full payment of the office visit, procedure or test.
Self pay patients
- Washington University Orthopedics will provide a 25% discount for self pay patients.
- All self pay patients are required to make a deposit on all services rendered.
- Payment is expected in full prior to the scheduled surgery/procedure.
For additional questions or more information, please contact our patient financial coordinator at (314) 747-9588.
Most of our providers accept workers’ compensation patients. Please contact your employer and our workers’ compensation coordinators at (314) 747-2539 to see if the physician you have selected is an approved
provider before scheduling your appointment.
We will bill first party/personal auto carriers. You must provide the company name, mailing address, phone number, claim number and the adjuster’s name.
Our physicians will not treat you under a lien from either the auto carrier or an attorney. You will have to use your health insurance or self pay for treatment.
To diagnose and treat your orthopedic condition, the following tests, procedures or equipment might be recommended by your provider. These type of services will be billed separately from your Washington University
For radiology studies performed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children’s Hospital, St. Louis Children’s Hospital Specialty Care Center, Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital or Progress West Hospital, you or your insurance company will be charged for both the taking of the films by the hospital and interpretation of the study by Washington University Physicians. Radiology services are considered an outpatient hospital service and will be billed as such. Please contact your insurance for your outpatient hospital services benefits.
Durable Medical Equipment
Most Durable Medical Equipment that you receive from our office will be billed to your insurance. You will then be billed for any outstanding balance or non-covered expenses. For items that are not covered by insurance, you will be expected to pay upon receipt.
Fluoroscopic Guided Injections
For Fluoroscopic Guided Injections from one of our providers, there will be a facility fee from Barnes-Jewish Hospital, as well as a charge from the physician performing the injection.
For physical therapy and occupational therapy, you will be billed separately from the provider of choice.
How to pay your bill
Payments can be made by cash, check or credit card. You can make your payment in person at any of our locations, over the phone with a credit card or online at: www.mypatientchart.org/MyChart
Please make checks payable to:
Washington University Orthopedics