Living Well Center Weight Loss Program
If you need to lose weight in order to improve your health, the Washington University Living Well Center® can help.
This dietitian-led weight loss program is expertly designed to help you drop excess weight using the latest evidenced-based approach that focuses on how to expand your healthy food intake, and provide education as to what foods to limit and why. The program includes the support and resources you need to meet your goal. By using a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle, you will reduce your weight and the risk of chronic diseases (such as diabetes and hypertension) associated with excess weight and obesity.
Participants receive guidance from a dietitian who specializes in plant-based diet and healthy lifestyles, as well as social support from peers in a group setting. The education you receive will go beyond just food and will include comprehensive lifestyle medicine – a recipe for long-term success.
We give you tools to meet your weight loss goals (our methods are proven to result in greater weight loss) and maintain your success long-term. Four biweekly group sessions are delivered virtually and in-person, increasing safe access to patients everywhere. For upcoming class dates, view our events calendar.
Join us to start your weight loss journey today!
Classes are held virtually and in-person every other week, and each visit includes an individual check-in with Molllie Semmer, PA-C, DipACLM, who is board-certified in lifestyle medicine. Participants must have an initial assessment at the Living Well Center prior to the first weight loss class. Each visit is billed to insurance as a specialty return office visit, however you may be responsible for any copays, coinsurance and/or deductibles depending on your insurance plan. Please check with your insurance carrier for details on your coverage.
Benefits of Living Well Center Weight Loss Program
- Low-cost compared to other programs.
- Focused on lifestyle changes that facilitate long-term success.
- Complements procedure-based weight loss programs and can be completed concurrently.
- A whole-food plant-based diet (WFBP) is the most endorsed diet by medical associations.
- While other weight loss programs may result in dramatic weight loss via medication and food restrictions, which can be helpful in the short term, research shows many people regain weight when food restrictions are released. Our approach incorporates research that shows evidence of measurably-increased health that is long-term and associated with a longer lifespan.
- Offered virtually and in-person to increase participant access from anywhere.
Living Well Weight Loss Class Agendas
- Root of the obesity epidemic and how to combat it; why other popular diets aren’t healthy; whole-food, plant-predominate eating
- Gut microbiome and calorie density
- Intermittent fasting; weight loss boosters; how to navigate social situations; travel and dining out
- Pleasure trap and how to disarm triggers
Whole-food plant-predominate cooking demonstrations will include some of the following items:
- Oil-free cooking
- Stir fry
- Quick breakfast ideas
- Whole-food plant-based dessert
- Tasty nourish bowls
Transform your life. Join our program today!