The Sports Medicine Division of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Washington University School of Medicine, made up of Drs. Matthew Matava, Rick Wright, Robert Brophy, Mark Halstead, Matthew Smith, and Ljiljana Bogunovic, brings world-class care to patients from all ages and walks of life in St. Louis and the surrounding communities. Our doctors specialize in the treatment of a wide variety of injuries to the shoulder, elbow, knee, hip, foot and ankle, in addition to athletic concussions.
Most importantly, our doctors are dedicated to providing the highest level of care and service to you and your family. As a specialty, sports medicine treats injuries in all patients, not just elite athletes. Whether you need surgery, therapy or just reassurance that you can get back to the gym or playing field, our sports medicine specialists are here for you. We are conveniently located at the Center for Advanced Medicine on the Barnes-Jewish Hospital campus and at the Outpatient Orthopedic Center in Chesterfield.
Led by Drs. Matava and Wright, Washington University Orthopedics is the official medical provider for the St. Louis Blues, Washington University Varsity athletics, and Troy and Lafayette High Schools. We also provide care for various athletic events such as the GO! St. Louis Marathon, as well as local and national soccer events.
Video Feature: Meet the team physicians for the St. Louis Blues
Our doctors hold several leadership positions in the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Orthopedic Association and American Academy of Pediatrics. In addition, our sports medicine physicians serve or have served in editorial positions of various orthopedic sports medicine journals and have been selected as Traveling Fellows to learn from leaders at other institutions in the United States and around the world.
Click here to request an appointment online!
Commonly Treated Conditions
- Meniscal transplantation
- Ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction of the elbow ("Tommy John" procedure)
- Cartilage transplantation
- ImPACT concussion testing
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections
- Osteochondral autograft transfer (OATS) procedure / Mosaicplasty
- Revision posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) reconstruction
- Revision anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- High Tibial Osteotomy (HTO)
- Distal Femoral Osteotomy
- Multi-ligamentous reconstruction of the knee
- Patellar stabilization
- Hip arthroscopy
- Labral repair of the hip
- Femoralacetabular impingement of the hip
- Autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI)
- Revision shoulder stabilization
- Revision rotator cuff repair
- Acromioclavicular (AC) joint reconstruction
- Biceps tenodesis
- Exertional Compartment Syndrome Testing
*To understand the diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of a particular condition or illness, visit American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) Sports Tips.
*To learn proper stretching techniques and warm-up exercises for golfers, click here.
*For helpful tips about how to stay safe when playing sports, visit www.stopsportsinjuries.org.