Introduction to Lifestyle as Medicine Program
Learn how to use your lifestyle as medicine through nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress reduction and health behavior change. This program is part of our shared medical appointment series, where your medical appointment will include a one-hour group session led by clinicians from the Living Well Center. Class is available in-person or virtually.
This course is recommended for those who are interested in learning more about lifestyle as medicine using lecture-style group sessions, focused mostly on education. Ready to make changes to your lifestyle right now? Join our 10-week Health Improvement Program today!
Class Topics and Agendas
Restful and restorative sleep habits
- Benefits of sleep
- Common sleep problems
- The circadian rhythm
- Daily habits that promote restful sleep
Plant-predominant nutrition for optimal health
- Gut microbiome
- Calorie density
- Plant-based diets and frequently asked questions
- Insulin sensitivity
- Risky alcohol use
Forming healthy habits and goal-setting
- Setting intentions for behavior change
- Goals and plans
- Habits and how to form new habits
Sitting time and physical activity
- Benefits of exercise
- Risks of sitting too long
- Types of exercise
- Building a fitness routine
- Good stress vs. bad stress
- Stress management techniques
- Mindfulness: definition, attitudes, and practice
- Emotional well-being
The science of chronic pain and strategies for management
- Definition and types of pain
- Understanding chronic pain
- Life map
How do I sign up?
- Have your initial assessment at the Living Well Center prior to your first shared medical appointment.
- Call us at (314) 514-3565 to schedule for one, some or all sessions. Please call in advance if you are unable to attend, as spots are limited. View our events calendar here for upcoming sessions.
Is it covered by insurance?
Each visit is billed to insurance as a return office visit (subject to copay, coinsurance, and/or deductible). For patients with commercial insurance, patient copay, coinsurance, and deductible may be waived for select shared medical appointment visits.